Everything you need to know about Migration Skills Assessment
Migration Skills Assessment is a process that assesses the skills and qualifications of individuals seeking to migrate to Australia. The assessment process evaluates an individual’s academic qualifications, work experience, and other relevant factors to determine their suitability for migration to Australia.
The process gets conducted by designated authorities such as Engineers Australia or other professional bodies specified by the Australian government. Engineers Australia is the designated authority for assessing engineers and related professionals seeking to migrate to Australia.
The skills assessment aims to list your skill set and identify how it matches your intended job. When appropriate, it will also advise you on improving your talents. The assessment ensures that the migrant’s qualifications and skills meet Australian standards and get recognized by relevant Australian professional bodies.
The assessment process includes evaluating an individual’s work experience to determine whether it is pertinent to their occupation in Australia.
It aims to ensure that the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) only grants permanent residency to applicants who meet employers’ current and future skill needs. For many applicants, this will mean sitting a skills assessment with an approved authority in their occupation.
Table of Contents
Why is a Migration Skills Assessment required?
The Migration Skills Assessment is required to ensure that migrants meet the minimum standards for their occupation in Australia. The assessment process ensures that the migrant’s capabilities and skills meet Australian standards and get recognized by the relevant Australian professional bodies.
This process is crucial for maintaining the high quality of skilled professionals in Australia and ensuring migrants have the necessary skills and qualifications to integrate into the Australian workforce.
Who is eligible for a Migration Skills Assessment?
The eligibility for Migration Skills Assessment depends on the occupation that the applicant is applying for and the requirements specified by the Australian government. The occupations get divided into different skill levels, and each skill level has other eligibility requirements.
Here are some brief points that describe the eligibility requirements for a Migration Skills Assessment:
- Engineers and related professionals seeking to migrate to Australia must undergo a Migration Skills Assessment to determine their suitability for migration.
- The assessment process evaluates an individual’s academic qualifications, work experience, and other relevant factors to ensure they meet Australian standards and get recognized by relevant professional bodies.
- The Engineers Australia Skills Assessment evaluates the skills and qualifications of engineers and related professionals.
- The assessment process includes evaluating an individual’s work experience to determine whether it is relevant to their occupation in Australia.
- The Engineers Australia CDR is a document required as part of the assessment process, demonstrating an individual’s occupation competency.
- The fees for the assessment process vary depending on the occupation and type of assessment required.
- The assessment process gets conducted by designated authorities such as Engineers Australia or other professional bodies specified by the Australian government.
Learn More: Electrical Engineering Scope: Is it worth migrating to Australia ✈️✈️
Designated Authorities for Migration Skills Assessment
The Migration Skills Assessment is conducted by designated authorities such as Engineers Australia, the Australian Computer Society (ACS), Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC), and other professional bodies as specified by the Australian government.
Each designated authority is responsible for conducting the assessment for their specific occupation and assessing the eligibility of the applicants based on the requirements specified by the Australian government.
You’ll have to complete the skills assessment to receive your visa. It determines if you are eligible for access and whether or not you have the required skills and qualifications for the job.
The skills assessment should get conducted by someone with experience in assessing people’s abilities, not just their knowledge or training. It can identify critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
The documents required for Skills Assessment are:
- An application form
- Your passport or any other identification documents (valid for at least six months)
- A credit card or cash equivalent (for payment)
It’s crucial to note that this is not a test of your knowledge but rather an assessment of your ability. If you’re applying for an IT role, they’ll look at how well you’ve done in past IT jobs rather than asking questions about computer programming languages or operating systems.
How to Apply for Migration Skills Assessment?
- You are over 18 years old.
- You are a citizen of Australia.
- You have finished at least three years of full-time English study at the school and university levels. To apply for the Migration Skills Assessment, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
If you meet these requirements and wish to apply for your MSA, follow these steps:
- Check whether you meet all eligibility requirements.
- Complete an online form with your details and send it by post or email. Send along any documentation that confirms your qualifications and date of birth, if applicable.
- When sending documents by post, ensure they are clearly labeled on both sides with your name and address to stay visible in transit! If mailing from overseas, ensure they reach their destination before sending off an application, as there are no guarantees processing times will still be within deadlines after being submitted overseas.
Learn More: Who is eligible to apply CDR for skilled visa migration? 🧑🏽✈️🏆
The English Language Exam
The English language exam is a computer-based test with multiple-choice answers. The minimum passing score is 75%. The test lasts 15 minutes and has a minimum of 15 questions. You can make three attempts to pass the English language exam within two years of first registering for it.
Which Tests Do I Need?
English language test results through one of the following:
The following table indicates the minimum scores for each module:
IELTS PTE TOEFL
Listening 6 50 12
Reading 6 50 13
Writing 6 50 21
Speaking 6 50 18
Specifications for MSA
- Recent color photography (dimensions: 35mm x 45mm) of yourself in JPEG
- Identification Document (current passport, only page including photo and name)
- Academic degree certificate
- Complete an official academic transcript.
- Result of IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE ACADEMIC.
- Registration certificate under the relevant licensing authority where applicable (for example, Philippine Professional Regulations Commission)
- Documentary evidence of employment
- List of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Three Career Episodes
- Summary Statement for the nominated category
- Official English translations of documents where applicable
Learn More: Become an Australian Permanent Resident? ✈️
Things to Consider in the Migration Skills Assessment Process.
The Migration Skills Assessment is a big step, and it’s one that many people are concerned about. It’s an excellent opportunity to think about your options and whether or not migrating is the best option.
When applying for a visa under the Long-Stay (Subclass 457) visa program, applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient sponsorship from an employer or other sponsor in Australia and can meet their financial requirements during their stay.
How Long does it Take?
How long it takes to complete the Migration Skills Assessment depends on what you’re applying for. For example, if you’re applying for a visa, the Department of Home Affairs may take 20 business days to process your application.
EA Skill Assessment Fee
The EA Skill Assessment fee is the amount an individual is required to pay for the Engineers Australia Skill Assessment process. The price varies depending on the occupation an individual is applying for and the type of assessment needed.
The fee is payable at the time of application and is non-refundable. Depending on the occupation and assessment type, the cost may range from AUD 500 to AUD 3,000.
The Migration Skills Assessment is a critical process for ensuring that migrants to Australia have the necessary skills and qualifications required for their occupation. The process is conducted by designated authorities such as Engineers Australia and other professional bodies as specified by the Australian government.
The assessment process involves evaluating an individual’s academic qualifications, work experience, and other relevant factors determining their suitability for migration to Australia. The assessment process ensures that the migrant’s qualifications and skills meet Australian standards and get recognized by the relevant Australian professional bodies.
Overall, the migration skills assessment procedure will assist you in navigating the Australian visa application process and determining the skills you will require for employment and living in Australia. It’s an essential step in making your dream country your permanent residence. Contact CDRReportWriters for any queries related to Migration Skills Assessment.